Thursday, July 15, 2010

We Like Dog Days Around Here

Maybe it's because it's so cold here for much of the rest of the year that I love July and August in North Idaho. Hot weather is a thing to treasure around here  -- at least until we finally get sick of it. I don't know why they call it "Dog Days," unless it refers to just wanting to lay around in the shade and pant a lot. I like hot weather, as long as I can get to some water. Here's Bric and his mom, Sadie, playing in the sprinkler yesterday. They were deliriously happy doggies. It can get stinking hot here, however. On the day of my son's wedding, for example, when I was hosting the reception for 150 people in my yard, it was 105 degrees; I kid you not. I just wanted everyone to go away so I could lay in the shade and pant. I sweat a lot more on my face now that I'm in my dotage. It seems to just pour off of me from my hairline. I have to wear a bandanna around my forehead to soak up the sweat or it runs into my eyes, which really smarts. Then it pools up in my crow's feet, which is so not cute.
But alas, my cute days are behind me, I'm afraid. However, my granddaughter just keeps getting more adorable every day, in my possibly slanted but actually quite accurate opinion. She is also a little ham; I shot this quick picture of her yesterday with no set up or preparation after she'd been swimming.  She's six going on 16, I'm afraid. Lately, Lady Gaga has replaced Miley Cyrus as her current favorite girl singer. I was not even sure who Lady Gaga is, then when I did see her on TV, I wondered if she's a drag queen. You never know these days. For now, it's lovely to just be able to sit back, be a grandma and admire my beautiful granddaugther. I don't have to fret about her future. I might not even be here when she's 16, but even if I am, I'll still just be her Nana. Translation: I don't do discipline anymore. I am, on the other hand, chocked-full of sage advice on an unlimited number of topics, should she ever need any. Anna's going to be a knock-out in another decade, though, that much seems fairly obvious. We all take credit. Every female relative she's got, including me, looks at Anna and thinks, "She's so pretty .. wow, she's a mini me!"

10 comments:

  1. Great picture of the dogs and one very adorable granddaughter! Niko used to love to play "hose," which consisted of him chasing the water stream. Hope you are keeping cool!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Donna--you are most fortunate to have such a sweet (mischievous) granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I talk about why it's called Dog Days on my yesterday's post, Donna! Beautiful granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a cutie and always has been. Takes after her Momma I'm thinking as the rest of us are too old to have that direct a DNA impact on her - Luke isn't cute - he looks too much like his Dad - rugged but not cute.

    I reckon you were cute once - now you're like the rest of us - rode hard and put away wet one too many times!! Speaking for myself anyway :-)

    Lord bless the children - they are such a true gift from God - -

    Love
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to see the dogs playing in the sprinkler! It's been "dog days" hot here too Donna. Even the breeze is hot! What a cutie you have there, and yes, she will be a head turner in a few short years and you'll be giving LOTS of sage advice to that young woman. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna is, indeed, a cutie. It's wonderful that you are able to spend time with her. I rarely see my grandsons, and when I do it's for a brief period (a few hours). Enjoy her for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie granddaughter! This must be a special time in your life ... being a grandma you can enjoy without the burden of discipline. I was very close with my gram; I told her things I wouldn't tell anyone else as I felt her unconditional love and that she wouldn't judge - just love. Enjoy the heat Donna and those dogs of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, we part company on the hot weather. If that had been MY outdoor wedding, we would have held the receiving line on a Slip 'N' Slide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd guess she's a carbon copy of her grandma. As to dog days....forget it. The heat index here was 111 (whatever that is) last week. The farmers were all worried about their stock and the rest of us just sat there, not moving, and sweating in the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for following our blog. it's always a pleasure to meet another GSD Lover. Your photos are Beautiful! Erins loves being in her pool or just getting soaked from the hose. My dogs seem to be handling this heatwave a lot better then me! Stay Cool & Thanks for visiting.
    Erin & Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for enabling my writing habit. I live for feedback.